ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Development Director will be part of a small and successful team responsible for designing and implementing Rancho Los Cerritos Foundation’s fundraising strategy, which includes: major donor work, foundation grants, annual and online giving, development communications, and events. The Development Director supervises the Development Associate and the Grant Researcher and Writer. The fundraising goal is $2M a year.
Rancho Los Cerritos Foundation operates Rancho Los Cerritos Historic Site in private-public partnership with the City of Long Beach. Interpreting rural life styles and economic development in southern California between the 1840s and 1940s, the museum encompasses an 1844 Monterey Colonial style two-story adobe on 4.7 acres of landscaped grounds and includes a visitor center and research library. Open hours are Wednesday through Sunday from 1:00-5:00pm for public tours. School tours, special events, lectures, concerts, and youth and family programs are offered throughout the year.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, develop a fundraising plan that includes donor segmentation, objectives for individual, corporate, and institutional fundraising and success metrics, identification of staff and board members who will be actively involved in fundraising and definition of roles, targets and fundraising goals;
- Manage and personally engage in solicitation and stewardship activities in collaboration with the Executive Director, other staff, and members of the Board;
- Lead the strategy and execution of Rancho Los Cerritos’ major gifts program and serve as the primary major gifts officer for the organization;
- Primarily responsible for development related revenue forecasting, managing expenses, and overseeing budgets and financials for funding submissions.
- Support Executive Director to advance Board engagement in fundraising. Includes regular attendance at Board meetings and supporting member-driven fundraising activities. Act as liaison to board committees that support development.
- Retain, recruit, and manage a small team of development professionals with appropriate balance of skills and experiences; establish work plans, performance objectives and goals, and regularly review performance; provide professional development and training opportunities to cultivate staff skills and professionalism;
- Orchestrate special events that boost institutional and individual fundraising efforts, including galas, openings, corporate and private gatherings, and events celebrating contributions of various donor groups and marking special milestones for Rancho Los Cerritos;
- Establish institutional giving programs for corporate and foundation gifts; ensure successful adherence to grant and restricted giving agreements; establish clear standards for institutional sponsorship, with particular emphasis on the proper use of logos, brands, naming and other recognition opportunities;
- With the Chair of the Board Development Committee and the Executive Director, identify potential Board Member candidates who can help the Board reach its fundraising objectives; collaborate with the Executive Director in the preparation of annual operating plans and budgets, incorporating fundraising projections into the budget of the organization;
- Maintain and build strong relationships with funders, donors, and strategic allies in Rancho Los Cerritos’ network. Includes willingness to travel locally and regionally to lead in-person meetings and site visits with supporters.